Author: Stephanie Frangos-Hagan

Man and Woman signing Settlement Agreement

Can I Discharge My Obligations to A Former Spouse in Bankruptcy?

As part of the divorce process, spouses must resolve various financial matters, including support and division of assets and debts. The resulting marital settlement agreement is enforceable in a court of law, even when one party declares bankruptcy after the divorce has been finalized, as illustrated by a recent New Jersey decision.

domestic violence in a past relationship

Do Domestic Violence Laws Apply to a Past Dating Relationship?

Many people think of domestic violence incidents as occurring between parties who are in an active relationship, but that is not a requirement. New Jersey’s Prevention of Domestic Violence Act (PDVA) protects against acts of domestic violence that occur between a spouse, former spouse, household member or individuals involved in a dating relationship, including past relationships. Such a relationship also does not have to be exclusive. Even casual dating may give rise to a claim under the PDVA, as affirmed in a recent Appellate Division case.

gavel next to wedding rings

Imputing Income to a Divorced Parent Who Is Voluntarily Underemployed or Unemployed

New Jersey law provides that both parents must pay basic child support plus certain add-on expenses. While a Court or the parties may decide how much each parent pays initially, that amount may later be modified if a party has experienced “changed circumstances,” which include job loss or obtaining a higher paying job. When the Court finds that a party is voluntarily underemployed or unemployed without just cause, the Court has the discretion to impute income to that parent based on certain criteria. A recent appellate decision illustrates this point.

How Will Courts Enforce Alimony When Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Pay?

When alimony is agreed upon in accordance with a Marital Settlement Agreement or awarded by a Court order, it is a legally enforceable obligation. As a result, if the payor-spouse refuses to pay or pays less than the agreed upon amount, the recipient spouse can file an application with the Court to enforce the support award. The Court has the power to order the payor spouse to pay the amount owed and may use other tools to deter the spouse from future nonpayment.

father moving with child

Do I Need Permission to Move Within New Jersey With Our Child?

Parental relocation is a difficult issue for parents and courts to resolve. If one parent wants to move over the objection of the other parent, the moving parent must convince the court that he/she should be able to relocate with the children over the non-custodial parent’s objection. Until recently, there was a significant difference in New Jersey law for custodial parents intending to relocate out-of-state versus custodial parents intending to relocate within New Jersey. Now, according to the Appellate Division in the case of A.J. v. R.J., a custodial parent who intends to move must demonstrate that the move is in the child’s best interest, regardless of whether the move is in-state or out-of-state.


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Privacy Policy

This privacy policy applies to information collected online from users of this website. In this policy, you can learn what kind of information we collect, when and how we might use that information, how we protect the information, and the choices you have with respect to your personal information.

What personal information is collected through this website and how is it used?

We collect information about our users in three ways: directly from the user, from our Web server logs and through cookies. We use the information primarily to provide you with a personalized Internet experience that delivers the information, resources, and services that are most relevant and helpful to you. We don’t share any of the information you provide with others, unless we say so in this Privacy Policy, or when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.


If you have any additional questions or concerns about this privacy policy, please contact us via the phone number, contact form or mailing address listed on this website. If our information practices change in a significant way, we will post the policy changes here.

Effective September 14, 2015