When alimony is agreed upon in accordance with a Marital Settlement Agreement or awarded by a Court order, it is a legally enforceable obligation. As a result, if the payor-spouse refuses to pay or pays less than the agreed upon amount, the recipient spouse can file an application with the Court to enforce the support award.

The Court has the power to order the payor spouse to pay the amount owed and may use other tools to deter the spouse from future nonpayment. The available remedies include the following:

  • Fixing the amount of arrearages and entering a Judgment upon which interest accrues;
  • Requiring payment of arrearages on a periodic basis;
  • Suspension of an occupational license or driver’s license consistent with law;
  • Economic sanctions;
  • Participation by the party in violation of the order in an approved community service program;
  • Incarceration, with or without work release;
  • Issuance of a warrant to be executed upon the further violation of the judgment or order;
  • Payment of the other party’s counsel fees.

While the Court may take these actions, a recent appellate decision demonstrates that the ability to do so is within the judge’s discretion and not a requirement. In David v. Wynn, the former husband owed the former wife back alimony (also known as alimony arrears) as well as monies in connection with the former marital home. The trial judge granted many but not all of the former wife’s motions with respect to enforcement of the former husband’s obligation. The former husband was required to pay the former wife an additional $100 per week toward his alimony arrearages, a specified sum in connection with the parties’ former home, and the former wife’s counsel fees incurred in connection with two of her previous enforcement motions. However, the trial judge denied the former wife’s requests for additional interest, counsel fees, and sanctions against the former husband, including incarceration. The former wife appealed these denials.

The appellate court found no basis to reverse the decision finding that the trial judge dismissed the former wife’s additional requests without prejudice meaning she could raise them again if the former husband continued to refuse to pay. The trial court was within its discretion to hold more stringent enforcement options for possible future use in the event the former husband failed to comply.

Courts have broad enforcement powers when parties violate an agreement or court order for support. As a result, if you are seeking enforcement of a support award, it is important to consult an attorney to ensure you take appropriate legal action. If you are having trouble meeting your support obligations, contact us to discuss filing a modification and/or termination application with the Court as soon as possible to avoid an enforcement action and protect your rights.


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Privacy Policy

This privacy policy applies to information collected online from users of this website. In this policy, you can learn what kind of information we collect, when and how we might use that information, how we protect the information, and the choices you have with respect to your personal information.

What personal information is collected through this website and how is it used?

We collect information about our users in three ways: directly from the user, from our Web server logs and through cookies. We use the information primarily to provide you with a personalized Internet experience that delivers the information, resources, and services that are most relevant and helpful to you. We don’t share any of the information you provide with others, unless we say so in this Privacy Policy, or when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.


If you have any additional questions or concerns about this privacy policy, please contact us via the phone number, contact form or mailing address listed on this website. If our information practices change in a significant way, we will post the policy changes here.

Effective September 14, 2015