Alimony Enforcement

In the event a former spouse fails to pay their alimony obligation, there are remedies available. When issues arise after a divorce, the advice and counsel of an experienced family law attorney can help you navigate post-judgment litigation. In particular, if your ex-spouse refuses to pay the agreed upon or Court ordered alimony, you will need to file an application with Court seeking enforcement of the support obligation.

In addition to seeking the alimony be enforced by the Court, there are additional tools available to the Court to deter a future nonpayment. These remedies may include the following:


  • Fixing the amount of arrearages and entering a judgment upon which interest accrues
  • Requiring payment of arrearages on a periodic basis
  • Suspension of an occupational license or driver’s license consistent with law
  • Economic sanctions
  • Participation by the party in violation of the order in an approved community service program
  • Incarceration, with or without work release
  • Issuance of a warrant to be executed upon the further violation of the judgment or order
  • Payment of the other party’s counsel fees

On the other hand, should you are unable to pay the Court ordered alimony, it is important to understand the Court remedies available to you and file the appropriate application with Court prior to your former spouse making an enforcement motion. Indeed, a payor is required to file a modification and/or termination application with the Court and is not permitted to exercise self-help without a Court Order or agreement. Because you are not permitted to unilaterally lower your support obligation, it is important to seek relief as soon as possible.

Donahue Hagan Klein & Weisberg has vast experience in post-judgment litigation in advocating for both the enforcement of alimony, as well as seeking the modification and/or termination of alimony.

 To request a consultation, please contact us by telephone or email.

Contact Us

Tell us about your case and we’ll get back to you promptly.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Privacy Policy

This privacy policy applies to information collected online from users of this website. In this policy, you can learn what kind of information we collect, when and how we might use that information, how we protect the information, and the choices you have with respect to your personal information.

What personal information is collected through this website and how is it used?

We collect information about our users in three ways: directly from the user, from our Web server logs and through cookies. We use the information primarily to provide you with a personalized Internet experience that delivers the information, resources, and services that are most relevant and helpful to you. We don’t share any of the information you provide with others, unless we say so in this Privacy Policy, or when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.


If you have any additional questions or concerns about this privacy policy, please contact us via the phone number, contact form or mailing address listed on this website. If our information practices change in a significant way, we will post the policy changes here.

Effective September 14, 2015